On the train this morning I saw a little boy that was running back and forth in the train. You could see how pleased he was at the moment. He did not bother to look back at his mother ,whom helplessly was trying to tell him to sit down. It was as if he didn't even notice her. He made me think of Henry, so similar to the rest ... but yet so different.
They are all children, they enjoy playing more than anything, they all laugh when they think of something funny and they all cry when they are feeling down. The similarities are never-ending, and the differences are so few, but too extreme.
I remember the day that mom and dad told me that Henry had a mental disorder. A state of mind that would explain his behavior. I knew that they had brought Henry to a medical center a few time, but they never told me why which made me jump to the assumption that he might have had a cold or something. Apparently that wasn't the case and my parents had been receiving calls of complainant from his daycare where Henry had continuously shown signs of incapability of paying attention. When the teachers asked him to sit still, he would avoided them and continue with what he was doing without bothering what people thought of it. He had supposedly shown impulsive behavior, according to the teachers he had snatched toys from other children, and when he got told to stop, he would get angry and start screaming, throwing and breaking things. The teachers has said that he was acting different from other children. But for me, that was Henry, my little brother that had more energy then anyone I had ever known. He could barely sit still while eating breakfast, a behavior I up till then thought was found in all children including me. For me it always made sense that his behavior was due to him being a child and that I probably did the same thing when I was about his age.
However, that was not the case since inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity were all signs of ADHD. The extreme form of a child. A disorder that had come to be a part of my little brothers identity.
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar