lördag 17 mars 2012

The name is, and will always be Henry

I remember the first couple of weeks, when all this was new to me. It had brought a curiosity in a field I'd never bothered caring for. All of a sudden I wanted to know more, I was restless, I was unable to wait for the fairy to come with a cure. I wanted to disprove the doctors, and show them that Henry was only Henry and not Henry with ADHD.

During this time it was difficult to digest all the things that I had heard and learned. Our parents had already taken Henry to more than two different doctors, and they all had said the same things. From a personal point of view I think it should be tricky to diagnosis someone with ADHD, since there are so many other disorders that have many similar symptoms. I once read on a BBC article that Bipolar, autism and food allergies often have the same symptoms like ADHD, and thats way doctors are advised to wait atleast 6 months before they can give any proper diagnosis.With Henry my parents said that they had waited more than a year, and seen how things were getting worse.

My mother told me that Henry's doctor said that it was difficult to diagnose people with ADHD since its not an infection, bacteria or a virus, which meant that it was nothing that  easily could be found in the blood. In a matter of fact, no medical procedure of that sort could identify ADHD. The only way doctors could diagnose someone with ADHD was by trying to read of their behavior, in other words it is up to the doctor to interpret the symptoms. In order to do this, they at least had to know how this person communicates with people, if (s)he has struggles connecting with people and etc. The doctor would also need to have some sort of medical history from the patients and its family, to get a more clear overview. This subjective form of observing implies that some people may get or give diagnosis easier than others. Therefore accuracy in diagnosis varies, which I saw clearly in a documentary I once watched that said that American doctors were more likely to diagnose someone with ADHD than a British doctor.

I must say that accuracy is not every doctors best strength, sad but true. I'm not implying that all doctors are like that, but most of them fit perfectly to that description. All this is what made me realize that Henry will always be Henry, whether he has ADHD or not, since the diagnosis are based on him as a person and not the other way around.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar